Laser-printed panels and other topics

Jezz Brookes jezz at enterprise.net
Wed Oct 23 12:00:01 CEST 1996

> From:          Stew Benedict <benedict at netcom.com>

>   I'm not sure if any of you are aware of this material, and how handy
> you are in a dark room.  But I work in electronics making custom
> instruments, and we use a material called MetalPhoto.  It's a
> photosensitized aluminum, which you expose and process like film.
> Once the material is cured by boiling in a cure bath, the lettering
> is indestructible.  A little pricey, $10-20/sheet, depending on size.
> You can go a little cheaper by buying thin stuff (0.032) and glueing
> to your faceplate.  I don't have the info in front of me, but I can
> get you the name of a distributor if you like.

At work I use something similar. It's an aluminium or plastic self
adhesive sheet that you expose to UV light and then just wipe with some
solvent. No boiling or darkrooms.

You need to spray the front with something to protect it though. Available
in various colours. (I've used black/silver in aluminium and black/white in
plastic). Once stuck onmto the panel you can drill right through it as
well. Comes in various size sheets. I've donw 19 inch rack panels though
the problem is getting the original art-work that big (you need 19" wide
clear film, like OHP slides). You just laser print the artwork onto an OHP
slide and what you print in black comes away with the solvent, exposing
the white or silver underneath.

I'll try and dig out more info.