Laser-printed panels and other topics

Doug Wellington doug at sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
Tue Oct 22 20:56:01 CEST 1996

Previously:
>     The reason I drill the panel and paper separately is that I don't want
>     to mess up the holes or the panel markings. Many times when I drill
>     aluminum a shaving forms that is a couple of inches long, and it
>     creeps up the drill bit hiding in one of the two spiral grooves. Then
>     as it gets longer and longer, it sometimes curls out just enough for
>     centrifugal force to grab a hold of it and fling it outwards so that
>     it forms a big honkin' jagged kinda propellor blade that promptly dips
>     down and etches a four-inch diameter circle in whatever it is that I'm
>     drilling. I hate it when that happens.

Umm, is it too obvious a suggestion to say that you should press down a
little on the drill, then back off to let the chip break before pressing
down again?  (I used to be a machinist, and we even programmed that into
our CNC mills...)

As for the panels, why not get one of those kits to make silkscreens, and
use two part epoxy ink?  I used to make stencils from card stock and squeegee
the ink across it.  (Also from my machine shop days.)  That epoxy ink is so
tough, if I messed up and didn't realize until it had dried, I had to use a
file to get it off and then re do the chem-coat or re-anodize...

-Doug

Doug Wellington
doug at sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
System and Network Administrator
US Geological Survey, Tucson, AZ Project Office

According to proposed Federal guidelines, this message is a "non-record".
Hmm, I wonder if _everything_ I say is a "non-record"...?