Guitar synth\F-CV converters

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Wed Feb 21 00:54:32 CET 1996

     I think Mark Smart's response to find or duplicate a GR-300 is a great
     idea. I've just started experimenting with frequency-to-voltage
     conversion, and I can give you the schematics I have so far, but I'm
     sure there's a ways to go before it will operate as well as a
     commercial unit. Of course if you're after "the thrill of the hunt",
     the stuff I've done so far looks very promising. I'm using an
     exponential VCO in a phase-locked loop, which generates a pitch CV
     that is already scaled to 1 octave per volt. For a guitar, you would
     need six of these things so it might be a lot of work.

     And then there's the trickey part - deriving a clean frequency from a
     guitar string's pitch. I would imaging that all kinds of adaptive
     filtering, compression, peak/trough detection, etc. would have to be
     used in order to get a pulse train that a dumb converter can lock
     onto. Can't help ya there. Some of the nasties I've heard about are
     the initial fall in pitch and the predominant second harmonic.

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com