Please help with logic IC families...

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Thu Feb 15 17:48:17 CET 1996

     Don't despair Chris and don't feel alone... new logic families come
     out faster than most of us can keep up with. I blow up chips on a
     regular basis and when I look at the part it's something like
     "74HCTAFLS4067BCDLC44" and so I go dig up the "High-speed CMOS TTL
     Advanced Fast Low-power Schottkey B-series Plastic PLCC" data book and
     find out that I was trying to shove +15 volts into a five volt part.
     Large amounts of thermal release is always a giveaway.

     From memory I can be of little help. I think that the 74HC can go up
     to about seven volts (like we all have seven volt power supplies!) and
     the 74HCT4000 guys go only to +5, and the CD4000's go up to +18, but
     beyond that it's databook time. Sounds like your doohickeys are fine
     at +15. If they stay cool then you're OK.

     I can look up your HCF4000's if you tell me the manufacturer...

     Good idea for some research and posting. If I find the time maybe I'll
     put something out.

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com