AW: crap Synth idea-DIY

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Thu Feb 29 21:43:09 CET 1996

     I have exactly the same thoughts as Juergen - I always have been
     thinking about building a poly analog interface without using a CPU.
     One reason that I have never tried to actually do something about this
     urge is that it is way too fun to try to figure it out in my head. If
     I built it finally, I would miss the mental exercise. Also I am
     waiting to stumble across some solution that would be so easy to
     implement that it would be a shame not to do it. Oh yeah - I would
     also need to figure out what I would use for all the synth voices, but
     that's another issue.

     Yeah I know it's that hobby thing again.... hey JDM I understand where
     you're coming from - if you actually make music then you're one step
     ahead of me, and more power to you. I'm totally guilty of messing with
     the stuff so much that I never get around to making music with it.
     Most people who first meet me look at my stuff and say "You must make
     a fortune with this stuff" and get totally blown away when I reply
     "No, not a cent in my life, in fact it's quite an expensive hobby".
     Hey people tell me I'm smart but if I were really smart I'd be rich,
     right? :-) Oh well I plan to make music some day, maybe after the kid
     arrives (like I'll have the time, yuk yuk).

     Anyway back to the topic at hand -

     In my experience there is a basic keyboard scanner block that would
     make the heart of any digital keyboard interface, based on the digital
     keyboard interface option of the Electronotes ENS-76 synthesizer. This
     scanner consists of a clock, a 6-bit counter, and the key scanning
     mux. This block provides a 6-bit counting word plus a synchronized
     serial data stream of select pulses that represent key depressions.
     The scanning mux can be either a N-to-1 mux to individual j-wires, or
     an 8 X 8 diode matrix. The former is usually used with old analog
     keyboards that don't have the diode boards, the latter can be used on
     the newer Panasonic units etc. BTW I've never had the dreaded dirty
     rubber pad syndrome show up with this interface.

     The basic monophonic analog interface consists of a set-reset
     flip-flop controlling a latch on the 6-bit bus. The flip-flop is set
     by the select line and reset by the overflow of the counter. The
     flip-flop, when set, latches the 6-bit word at that instant and then
     blocks any further select pulses. When the end of the count is
     reached, the flip-flop is reset and un-blocks the select line.

     This means that after the scan starts, the binary value of the first
     key down encounterd by the mux will be loaded into the latch, and any
     other key-downs will be ignored. If the counter is counting up, then
     the keyboard will exhibit lowest-note priority. If the counter is
     counting down, then it will be high-note priority. If all keys are let
     up, the latch holds its last value. The 6 bits out of the latch go into
     a D/A and provide the keyboard CV. A one-shot on the select line
     provides the gate.

     This interface is so simple that there is absolutely no reason to do
     anything other than build one of these if you need a new monophonic CV
     controller. It works flawlessly and I've built at least a half-dozen
     of them over the years (my Minimoog has one to replace the old
     problem-ridden analog S/H).

     It seems to me that in order to extend the design to an N-voice poly
     design, the following needs to be done:

     For each voice there would be a word latch with a D/A, a word compare
     circuit between the 6-bit bus and the latch output, and a "busy"
     flip-flop. The voice word comparator has two functions: first, to reset
     the "busy" flip-flop if a busy voice sees the lack of a select pulse
     when its note address comes up, and second, to contribute to a "taken"
     bus that is common to all voices.

     For the whole system there would be one voice assignment circuit that
     collects all of the busy signals and monitors the "taken" bus line.
     This circuit has the job of "pointing" to any voice that is not busy,
     and checking the "taken" bus whenever a select pulse occurs on the
     select line (this would prevent unwanted stacking of voices onto the
     same note). When this circuit assigns a note to a voice, the voice's
     "busy" flip-flop gets set.

     The way that the voice assignment circuit "points" to an available
     voice determines the assignment rules. If a priority encoder function
     is used, then you will have lowest-note or highest-note assign rules.
     If you use a counter, then you will have rotary assignment rules. Note
     that if you kill the "taken" bus, then all voices will be stacked on
     the first note encountered, to create a "Unison" mode. This circuit
     would also be responsible for keyboard splits, I think (right?).

     Wow I've never written all this stuff down before. I hope it makes
     sense. There's probably some holes in the logic that need some minor
     patching. This method has been written up in Electonotes before, both
     in theory and in schematic form. I think however that the schematic
     can be improved upon in this more modern age, especially with the
     advent of gate arrays.

     Anybody got some more thoughts on this?

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com