AW: RE: (2) DIY Digital Scanning ... and MS-20

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Mon Feb 26 17:54:54 CET 1996

     On 2/24/96 "J.D. McEachin" <jdm at synthcom.com> at ccrelayou wrote:

     >To me, the decision to build or buy depends on the uniqueness of the
     >item to be built, and cost in time.  My time is very valuable to me,
     >so puttering it away building a keyboard makes NO sense whatsoever.
     >I'd rather spend my time building something novel sounding than
     >reinvent the wheel.

     You make a valid point. However permit me to play the devil's advocate
     to your devil's advocate, and say that you did neglect to factor in
     the price that is assigned to "contribution to personal knowledge and
     experience". How does one attach a price to that? Remember, we *are*
     talking about a hobby here.

     But it's not that simple - the topic is a very deep one, actually.
     Recently my car needed work. I looked under the front, and sure enough
     the idler arm bushing was shot. Now I am perfectly capable of
     repairing anything on a car, and in fact I think it's fun, but I took
     it to the shop. I was totally willing to pay somebody to do it,
     because I factored in parts procurement, labor, laundry costs, kitchen
     sink cleaning, cost of band-aids, etc. My old car-repairing hobby has
     dwindled! I never thought this would happen.

     But just then I said that "I am perfectly capable of repairing
     anything on a car" - this is no longer true! I am powerless in my own
     garage if confronted by an electronic engine parameter control module
     thingamabob failure.

     In the same way much of synthesizer technology is running away from
     us. So in order to keep up I think it may be good for hobbyists to
     pursue back-breaking digital implementations of fairly mundane
     functions. Knowledge is power.

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com

     p.s. however if I were to make a poly keyboard right now I would do it
     differently than the current thread suggests...