LED Patch Indicators

J.D. McEachin jdm at synthcom.com
Sat Feb 24 12:20:55 CET 1996

On Sat, 24 Feb 1996, becker fred wrote:

> >To assign a mod routing, push and release the source button, then push and
> >release the destination button.  This will patch the two together thru an
> >internal switching matrix.
>
> This is a good idea.  One question:
>
> How would you disconnect a connection?  Would you push one of the buttons twice?

I'd have a "CLEAR" button on the CPU module.  Press it, then press your
source and destination to clear the connection.

Your suggestion would work as well.  One thing to understand about UI
design is that what sounds good on paper (or in this case, phosphors ;-),
doesn't always work as well as you think when implemented.  It's hard to
say which is better until you've tried both methods, and even then, some
might prefer one, some might prefer the other.

A further refinement to my earlier idea.  Each mod source and destination
would have the following: LED, slider, pushbutton.  Just moving the slider
would set the "manual", or fixed CV amount.  Pushing the button, then
pushing button of the mod source would "arm" the slider for programming
the modulation amount from that source.  I suppose the source could also
have a slider which controls the output amount, since we're dreaming, but
now we're talking about yet another VCA.

The LED would indicate two things (probably w/ two different colors) -
1)the mod source/dest. pairings and 2) the "preset" value of the pot

This would cut down on the parts count, at the expense of being able to
set the sliders and leave them there while working on the patch.

At this point, more thought needs to be devoted to the routing and i/o
structure of the modules and how many mod routings are possible.  Do you
put a fixed number of summing nodes on the input of each module, and have
a bank of mixers you can patch in, or what?

JDM