Alternative to MIDI-CV

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Mon Feb 12 21:40:22 CET 1996

     Here at work we got a demo of a programmable analog array, about four
     months ago. Of course I was right up front asking all the questions
     (it's pretty amazing how many digital engineers do not grok analog
     electronics AT ALL). Nothing really applicable to synth builders, I'm
     afraid, these things are designed to receive a serial binary image
     download on an input port which loads a bunch of registers telling the
     array who connects to what and how much resistance to use in the
     connections (as I remember). Not enough range or variability to make
     filters or oscillators, maybe useful for modulation routing and
     patching, but no fireworks went off for me during the demo. I thought,
     "hmmm interesting, I'll wait and see what happens over the next year".

     The main application as I was told was for these things to be used in
     mechanical systems control (like car engines etc.) to compensate for
     wear over time or changes in operating conditions.

     If I see anything new and interesting along these lines I'll be sure
     and post to the list.

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com