MIDI-CV converters (was: Building my first synth...)

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Mon Feb 5 18:07:53 CET 1996

     The thing that is most intimidating about a home-brew MIDI-to-CV
     converter is the fact that you need a development system for uP
     designs. This usually consists of a PC with a PROM programmer
     attached to it. We got loads of this stuff here at work (top of the
     line, I might add) but I can't risk doing non-work-related stuff
     here - it's bad enough I'm on these mail lists!

     I think that such a project is right on the border of being
     practically implemented in hardware without using a uP. A basic
     hardware-only unit that would get the job done wouldn't be too hard,
     but the kicker is that if you use compiled code written on a
     development system, you can have so much more functionality for free -
     as long as you have to get the basic thing running, all you have to do
     is type some more to add features.

     Not only that, if you want the device to function flawlessly in
     complex MIDI data stream environments, there's quite a bit of
     algorithm stuff that should be added to keep things from getting
     confused. For example, there's the two kinds of note-offs at &H8x and
     &H9x, running status handling, and real-time messages. I've written
     data deciphering programs for MIDI that can handle everything, so I
     know the algorithms required, and if you go with the just-hardware
     approach it would be quite hard to implement these completely.

     I just had an idea - I have an old XT laying around, with an original
     MPU-401 in it. If I made a D/A circuit board, and it was controlled by
     the PC hardware, it should be possible to develop the code on the PC
     and run it to make a very high-powered MIDI-to-CV controller. The D/A
     could be an 8- or 16-bit discrete R-2R ladder, driving an big analog
     mux into a bunch of S & H's, with some gate latches as well. It would
     probably be easy to go to sixteen or thirty-two analog voltages. The
     software could do all of the demux scanning probably, reducing the
     hardware requirements. There could be a graphic user interface for
     setting up the channels etc. This all could probably be done in
     something easy like Visual Basic or Visual C....

     Any thoughts on this? How should it be connected to the PC? If it's
     built on a card that fits into a slot in the PC, there may be
     connector density problems as well as EMI pickup from nearby spikey
     digital stuff. Maybe an external box, attached through the parallel
     port? How about using the serial port? Now it has a UART in it, but
     now it only has to decipher D/A setup data instead of MIDI traffic.

     Whaddaya think guys.

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com