More Experiments - Envelope Generators this time...

johns at oei.com johns at oei.com
Wed Nov 22 14:59:43 CET 1995

     (- Gene of gstopp at fibermux.com outlined his test of a relay in an ADSR
     ...)

     Regarding the near 0 ohms relay approach to switching ADSRs, I have
     always just wondered about doing this myself.  Under ideal conditions
     I would think this is foolproof and in this age of minituarization,
     I'll bet there are really fast relays with an IC type footprint.

     Have you considered what the discharge current would be on a large
     fully charged cap?  I would intuitively think that a fast relay would
     have to be tiny and likewise have a small current carrying capacity.
     Eventually as current demands increase (or repeatedly stress the
     relay) the relay will look more like a blown fuse than a switch.

     I never had access to sensitive transient current measurement
     equipment to verfiy this.  Nor have I had access to these newer relays
     to test it.  But all in all, I'd say that if getting zero ohms is a
     problem, a fast relay switch would be a pretty effective and robust
     way of solving the problem.  Quite often the most elegent solutions
     are the simplest.  Good luck!

     JJS