Beginning Construction

JohnRWilley newton+ at osu.edu
Wed Nov 15 19:38:11 CET 1995

Hi.  I'm looking to get into instrument building, and I'm looking for
advice.  I have only a minimal understanding of electronics but I'm looking
to learn by doing.  Besides, I live in an honors dormitory full of EE and
physics types, so I'm not too concerned.  I've gotten some old books from
the library, including "Build a Better Music Synthesizer" by Thomas Henry.
It's one of those mid-80's TAB books.  What are the odds that some of the
components used in the projects are still available?  They are mostly CEM
stuff.

My other option is the PAiA Fatman.  I'd have a kit, midi and everthing in
one box.  How useful is this box?  Is it any fun?  I've heard that's it's
not a bad project, even for a philosophy major like me.  Yes, I do own a
soldering iron and have even used it!

So, I'm looking for books, advice and maybe even some leads on supplies.
I'm probably going to go for the Fatman, unless someone can offer better
ideas.

John
newon+ at osu.edu

newton+ at osu.edu
http://socrates.mps.ohio-state.edu/~jwilley

"No piano was safe with Beethoven...he demanded too much from the pianos
then being made.  Which is very true; and which is also a polite way of
saying that Beethoven banged the hell out of the piano."
          --  Harold Schonberg