The Rhodes Chroma's Sound (was: RE: VCO design)

Michael Zacherl mz at bacher.co.at
Fri Jun 2 20:08:42 CEST 1995

> That's interesting! How would you describe the Chroma sound? How does
> it compare with for example the Prophet-5, or ARPs monosynths?
> I haven't played a Chroma for years.

> -joachim

Hmmm .. How to describe the Chromas sound? Let's try:

Chroma sounds have a lot of power and are somewhat bizzare. It has a nice
internal voice-structure which allows uncommon filter/vco combinations
including cross-modulation etc. You also can program sounds which are like a
bit from the digital domain but the basic sound is truly analog. Due to the
multiple keyboardmodes which the Chroma provides (some are like on a Jupter 8)
it is able to produce pretty thick sounds. I got a MIDI Interface which allows
me the use of four patches simultaniously. Unfortunately programming the
Chroma is painfull since it has a very little LED-Display and one DATA-slider.
I refuse to ship the Chroma or just take it on the road because it's a very
heavy box and somewhat weak. It happens relatively easy that one of the eight
soundboards (each contains two voices) loosens and fails when powering up the
Chroma again.
I regret that I don't have any public ftp/www server here, I could generate
some sample-snippets from sounds which are some sort of typical/unique and put
them here when my workroom is finished and everythings up and running (I've
just moved).

soon,
/mz

BTW: (To all of you)
I found some nice pointers to some Synth-pages on the web which you probably
know allready. Could we put together all of these pointers or build up a
comprehensive archive of information and soundexamples for instance? It's just
a rough idea but one of the biggest problems is the unavailiability of an
general index.
It might be that there is allready something like that but they don't seeme to
grow that much...
Any other ideas??
/mz