Nord Lead (was: RE: AW: RE: Speaking of Digital.)

Michael Zacherl mz at bacher.co.at
Thu Jun 1 17:43:11 CEST 1995

> If "true analogue synth" applies to storable and midi-controllable synths,
> why should there be any problem in morphing? The parameters are all read
> from RAM or front panel pots, then D/A converted, multiplexed and routed to
> the analogue modules as CV's. Morphing just changes these parameters from
> MUX update cycle to the next. I cannot think of any reason why Morphing
> should not work on a Matrix-12 (to take an example), just with the
> apropriate software.
> The capability of morphing has nothing to do with analogue or digital
> oscillator or filter realisation.

True.

There are two things I saw: a pretty good implementation of realtime sound-control (easy to
handle) and a pretty good emulation af analog sound in DSP - Hardware.
For me the Nord Lead is not a must have gear, but I found it a good solution for e.g. the
lightweight synth on the road, a good performing gear in the studio etc.
What's really fascinating to me is the quality of the implemented filters etc. Many synth
manufacturers are trying to develop good sounding filters in digital domain but this
Clavia-thing beats most of them in emulating analog sound IMHO. I know just a bit about DSP
programming but getting this kind of sound and fast response while playing twelfe voices takes
 a lot of time to develop the proper algorithms (also IMHO!).

I've nothing to do with Clavia/ddrum, I just had the chance to play a while with it and it's
the first modern commercial synth which impresses me since the D-50 :-)

soon,
/mz